Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Taco Bake 21 Day Fix Approved

I don't know about anyone else, but I adore Mexican food! Especially since my gastroenterologist told us that I should no longer include gluten in my diet. I wasn't that big of a bread eater at the time that he recommended it, but I've really tried to cut down even further, which means incorporating more grains like corn, quinoa and oats into my diet. So it's only logical that I've been making more Mexican inspired meals. Also, it doesn't hurt that it's one of the only types of food that my super picky husband and children are guaranteed to enjoy as well. With that said, I figured that in honor of Cinco De Mayo I should post a favorite Mexican influenced dish made in a 21 Day Fix friendly way.

Try it tonight and let me know what you think!!

This recipe makes 4 servings.

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground turkey (at least 93% lean) browned
1 small onion diced
1/2 normal sized low sodium taco seasoning packet
1/2 cup of water
4 oz. low sodium taco sauce
diced tomato
chopped kale
1 red container of plain Greek yogurt
2 blue containers of low fat cheddar cheese
4 hard corn taco shells

Directions:

Brown ground turkey and onion in a pan over medium high heat.

Drain off the liquid and add 1/2 taco seasoning packet with 1/2 c water. Stir until combined.

Add taco sauce and stir.

Place 4 taco shells inside of a zip lock bag, pound with a mallet until crunched up into small pieces, then layer an 8x8 baking dish with 1/2 of the crunched up taco shells.

Pour  a layer of 1/2 of the ground meat mixture in an even layer.

Layer 1/2 of the greek yogurt using a spatula to smooth it out and spread it evenly across the mixture.

 Spread 1 blue container of the cheddar cheese mixture in an even layer.

Spread a second layer of the crunched shells using what's left in the bag.

Pour the rest of the ground meat mixture.

Spread the rest of the Greek yogurt again using the spatula.

Lastly, sprinkle the remaining blue container of cheddar cheese on top.

Bake in 350 Degree oven for 15 -20 minutes or until cheese if bubbling.

Once baked, I top mine with a green container full of chopped kale and tomatoes. And since I cannot have cheese, I leave out the cheese layer on half of the dish and add a 1/2 blue of avocado spread on top at the end. But you can add any other toppings you would like!

Containers as prepared prior to toppings: 1 red, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue
For my family, I cook a side of refried pinto beans and dirty rice. Everyone loved it, especially my super picky hubby!! Enjoy and happy Cinco De Mayo!

No comments :

Post a Comment